What information do I need to order contact lenses?
To order contact lenses you need your contact lens prescription, which will include both the specifications of the lenses that you wear and the contact information for the eye care professional who prescribed them. We are required by Federal Law to verify all contact lens prescriptions with the prescribing professional.
Your Optometrist or Ophthalmologist is required to provide you with a copy of your prescription, both upon completion of the fitting or upon your request at a later date. If you do not have a copy, your prescription information is also available on the packaging of your current contact lenses.
Here is the prescription information that we need:
Regular Lenses, we will need:
- OD = Right Eye
- OS = Left Eye
- Brand Name (e.g. Acuvue)
- BC / Base Curve (a number between 8.0 and 10.0)
- DIA / Diameter (a number between 13.0 and 15.0)
- Power / Sphere / Rx (a number between -20.00 and +20.00)
For astigmatic patients, we also need:
- Cylinder (a number between -4.00 and +4.00)
- Axis (a number between 0° and 180°)
- Cylinder and Axis are usually separated by "X" and read as "times"
Other Parameters might include:
- Add (a positive number between +0.25 and +5.00 - for bifocal lenses)
- Color (a word or phrase describing the color tint of a lens)
A regular prescription would look like this:
OS Brand Name: Acuvue 2
OS BC: 8.3 DIA: 14.0 SPHERE: -2.50
OD Brand Name: Acuvue 2
OD BC: 8.3 DIA: 14.0 SPHERE: -2.75
A prescription for astigmatism would look like this:
OS Brand Name: Soflens 66 Toric
OS BC: 8.5 DIA: 14.5 SPHERE: -2.50
OS CYL & AXIS:- 1.25 X 180°
OD Brand Name: Soflens 66 Toric
OD BC: 8.5 DIA: 14.5 SPHERE: -4.50
OD CYL & AXIS:- 0.75 X 95°
If you have more questions, please contact one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives for further assistance
More about Ordering Contact Lenses